Re: [perl #132589] experimental bitwise feature breaks PDL's &operator

From:
Diab Jerius
Date:
December 18, 2017 15:10
Re: [perl #132589] experimental bitwise feature breaks PDL's &operator
Message ID:
CADpyd5BpT_q+LLcFYp0HZ-2nH3bswJgMPUkoEQOwTb6hpS+iBw@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 14:28:25 -0800, djerius wrote:
>>
>> This is a bug report for perl from djerius@cpan.org,
>> generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.22.1.

>> [Please describe your issue here]
>>
>> The experimental bitwise feature breaks PDL code which uses the
>> overloaded '&' operator.
>>

>> Usage:  PDL::and2(a,b,c,swap) (you may leave temporaries or output
>> variables out of list) at bitwise.pl line 9.
>
> Due to the nature of the bitwise feature, it is necessary to pass extra arguments to overload functions.  overload.pm says the following:
>
>     If the experimental "bitwise" feature is enabled (see feature), a fifth
>     TRUE argument is passed to subroutines handling "&", "|", "^" and "~".
>     This indicates that the caller is expecting numeric behaviour. The fourth
>     argument will be "undef", as that position ($_[3]) is reserved for use by
>     "nomethod".
>
> I have submitted a PDL patch at <https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=123901>.
>
> There is no Perl bug here.

Thanks.

PDL doesn't use rt.cpan.org for bug-tracking, so I've submitted a
report at their SourceForge site:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pdl/bugs/442/