Re: Revisiting smart match

From:
Zefram
Date:
December 18, 2017 02:38
Re: Revisiting smart match
Message ID:
20171218023829.GA18691@fysh.org
Eirik Berg Hanssen wrote:
>  upon/uponif?  (Or shorter, on/onif?)

"upon" shows some promise.  It reads well, and could serve as either of
the keywords.  But "uponif" is poor.  "on" also reads well on its own,
but has the same issue with "onif".  These also need to be checked
against Moose; "on" is fairly likely to be used by a popular CPAN module.

>  I'm even less enthusiastic about the "if" form.  "do_stuff() uponif Int"
>/ uponif (Int) { do_stuff(); }".  It doesn't really read well.

"Int" isn't a realistic condition.  It would be "do_stuff() uponif $a ==
$b", which also reads poorly.

"upon" combines a bit better with "so": "do_stuff() uponso $a == $b".
But that's still not great.  Generally, if we want something reading
well as English, it's going to be easier to add "so" than to add "if".

-zefram