Re: Revisiting smart match

From:
Andreas Koenig
Date:
December 18, 2017 00:24
Re: Revisiting smart match
Message ID:
877etkq3xe.fsf@k85.linux.bogus
>>>>> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 22:51:35 +0000, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> said:

 z> Father Chrysostomos wrote:
 >> You did not rebase your branch.

 z> Yes.  I know a rebase and trivial merge is preferred, but in this
 z> case it would have been terribly time-consuming to rebase correctly.
 z> Resolving the conflicts just once, in the merge, was the practical way.

 >> This makes it much harder for people
 >> trying to track when things changed and doing manual bisects.

Seconded.

 z> I believe bisection handles merges just fine.  What distinction are you
 z> making with the word "manual"?

I believe he might talk about the time it takes to write BBC reports.
The time one saves by refusing to generate linear history is eaten up by
the time others spend with bisecting over non-linear history.

Whether its a net gain or a net loss depends. We'll see.

--
andreas