Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework

From:
David Nicol
Date:
December 17, 2017 22:37
Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework
Message ID:
CAFwScO9QA3+R=y2Tu6WTyoNfSids1dZBxFpAt5X7K5VPrd5X+Q@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the points I was subtly trying to imply is that I think that in
> some cases it might be an unfair burden to put on you or other module
> authors.
>
> If your code needs more than what the language has to you without having
> to bend over backward to make it work (and to provide compatibility when
> it inevitably breaks), we should revisit it. One option is to give up
> and say "We can't provide this cleanly. Implement it however you want at
> your peril." We can say this, but it feels like the last resort, merely
> admitting we can't or uninterested in offering what you need. Another
> option is to add the APIs you need cleanly. The problem with this is
> that we might corner ourselves having to maintain support for something
> that might be in the way of something in the future. The third option is
> also raised here, which is to core some of it - or perhaps all of it.

Another possibility would be to promulgate a strong recommendation that
when extensions extend core, they
should do so by implementing a maintainable proposed draft API in core and
independent code that uses said API.

Paul has done exactly that, submitting his two hooks for inclusion in core.

--
“no man should be compelled to do what the laws do not require; nor to
refrain from acts which the laws permit.” Calder v. Bull (U.S. 1798)