[perl #126150] Regex missing from perlref

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
December 17, 2017 20:14
Subject:
[perl #126150] Regex missing from perlref
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-25495-1513541633-1457.126150-15-0@perl.org
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 12:12:56 -0800, sprout wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 05:24:07 -0800, xsawyerx@cpan.org wrote:
> > >
> > > No it's not.  The blessing into "Regexp" is perfectly regular
> > > blessing;
> > > anything else can be blessed into "Regexp" just the same, and a
> > > regexp
> > > scalar can be blessed into any other class.
> >
> > My intention is that you get a Regexp object via qr(). Since this is a
> > pitfall to many people, there is little harm in adding a particular
> > documentaiton for that.
> >
> > (As for any possible slipper slope argument, I would be in favor of
> > adding other such cases if there were, but this is luckily the only
> > one.)
>
> The other one is IO::File.

But I agree, ref(qr//) is quite common, whereas ref(*STDOUT{IO}) is only for gurus.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved