[perl #108778] no warnings "module name"

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
December 17, 2017 20:00
Subject:
[perl #108778] no warnings "module name"
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23195-1513540798-873.108778-15-0@perl.org
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:32:58 -0800, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
> Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> >At the very least, can we make warnings.pm register the overload
> >category, or make overload a core category?
>
> If we do that for overload, why not for others?  Where do we draw
> the line?

overload.pm, like strict and warnings, is a core feature.  The functionality these modules provide is not actually implemented in the modules themselves, but is part of perl.

That overload.pm registers its own warnings category and uses warnings::warnif is just an implementation detail.  Its warnings are even listed in perldiag under the ‘overload’ category.

Hence, I think it is sufficiently part of the language itself, and not just another module.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open