[perl #132577] BBC Module::Install broken by0301e899536a22752f40481d8a1d141b7a7dda82

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
December 17, 2017 19:18
Subject:
[perl #132577] BBC Module::Install broken by0301e899536a22752f40481d8a1d141b7a7dda82
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23195-1513538258-1052.132577-15-0@perl.org
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 03:06:01 -0800, xsawyerx@gmail.com wrote:

> On 12/13/2017 12:04 AM, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com
> > <mailto:fawaka@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org
> >     <mailto:zefram@fysh.org>> wrote:
> >
> >         However, as far as I can see there's no need at all for the
> >         module to
> >         delay execution of the code it generates by putting it in an
> >         INIT block.
> >         If that code is instead executed immediately, by deleting the
> >         word "INIT"
> >         to turn it into a bare block, everything works.  With that
> >         alteration
> >         to the module, the Module-Install distro passes its test suite.
> >

> >     Given Module::Install's rather unfortunate bundling nature, that
> >     would require rereleasing all 119 distributions using it to be
> >     rereleased with such a new Module::Install.
> >

> > Well, all 119 modules using Module::Install::DSL, Module::Install in
> > general has quite a few more users.
>
> That is indeed a pain.

I seem to remember an old blog or list post by Michael Schwern predicting this very problem with Module::Install.

> What is the cost of reverting this commit instead?

Buggy, unpredictable behaviour, unless you can memorise the list of complex rules for when exit does and does not prevent other blocks from running.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open