[perl #123707] [EXPERIMENT] String- and number-specific bitwise ops

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
December 17, 2017 19:15
Subject:
[perl #123707] [EXPERIMENT] String- and number-specific bitwise ops
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23195-1513538103-197.123707-15-0@perl.org
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 22:07:56 -0800, sprout wrote:
> The new ops &. |. ^. ~. and the strictly-numeric behaviour of & | ^ ~
> under the
> ‘bitwise’ feature are being added as an experiment in perl 5.22.0.
> This ticket
> will collect bugs and other acceptance-criteria tickets to track
> before these
> new ops can be considered accepted or failed in a future version of
> perl.

This feature has been in three stable releases of perl, with no changes to the implementation as far as I can remember.  As evidenced by ticket #132589, this feature is actually being used in the wild, and the only bug report it has had is not actually a bug in Perl, but in a module.

I suggest we accept this feature as stable for 5.28, and enable it with ‘use v5.28‘.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new