[perl #127794] Strange behavior when forking in BEGIN

From:
slaven@rezic.de via RT
Date:
December 17, 2017 13:19
Subject:
[perl #127794] Strange behavior when forking in BEGIN
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-20000-1513516731-1944.127794-15-0@perl.org
Dana Sun, 17 Dec 2017 02:10:02 -0800, hv reče:
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 00:40:06 -0800, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
> > This kind of strangeness is only what should be expected from forking
> > in a BEGIN block.  This ticket should be closed.
>
> What who should expect - someone intimately familiar with perl
> internals, or someone who uses perl and (on a good day) may have read
> `perldoc -f fork`?
>
> The preceding discussion suggests to me that an attempt to fork() at
> BEGIN time should yield at least a warning (and maybe a fatal error)
> to reflect the fact perl will not be able to honour a reasonable non-
> expert's expectations of what that means.

Probably there are legitimate uses of fork() in a BEGIN block --- I would expect that a fork+exec here is harmless.

Regards,
    Slaven

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open