[perl #127794] Strange behavior when forking in BEGIN

From:
Hugo van der Sanden via RT
Date:
December 17, 2017 10:10
Subject:
[perl #127794] Strange behavior when forking in BEGIN
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-12621-1513505402-225.127794-15-0@perl.org
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 00:40:06 -0800, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
> This kind of strangeness is only what should be expected from forking
> in a BEGIN block.  This ticket should be closed.

What who should expect - someone intimately familiar with perl internals, or someone who uses perl and (on a good day) may have read `perldoc -f fork`?

The preceding discussion suggests to me that an attempt to fork() at BEGIN time should yield at least a warning (and maybe a fatal error) to reflect the fact perl will not be able to honour a reasonable non-expert's expectations of what that means.

Hugo

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open