Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
December 13, 2017 10:06
Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework
Message ID:
20171213100627.GA3108@iabyn.com
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 04:04:02PM +0000, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:34:14 +0000
> > Note that your module is making heavy use of the unpublished internal
> > details of the perl runtime engine. You might want to add a caveat to
> > the pod that this this module might irretrievably break in some
> > future release of perl.
>
> Oh I'm aware of that. Right now my code is purely 5.24 because that's
> what was on my laptop at the time, and I note that it happens also to
> work for 5.26.
>
> I'm hoping though that any new perl releases will have corresponding
> version-guarded support in my module, so things ought to work smoothly.

So if at some point in the future I make a change to the internals
of the context stack implementation which breaks your module, who is is
responsible for fixing it? What happens if no-one is available to fix it,
or if the nature of the change to blead makes it essentially impossible to
fix?

What happens if common modules have come to rely upon your module?
Am I then forced to undo my change to blead, because I have "broken CPAN"?

Which is why I feel users of your module should be warned that it could
break in the future without notice.

> Perhaps one day I'll even come up with a set of APIs/suggestions that
> perl core could do to make this sort of thing nicer ;)

Exposing more of the internal mechanics of the perl runtime engine via an
API just makes it even harder to change or fix the engine in future.

--
A major Starfleet emergency breaks out near the Enterprise, but
fortunately some other ships in the area are able to deal with it to