Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
December 12, 2017 16:04
Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework
Message ID:
20171212160402.1f0ee153@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:34:14 +0000
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:48:03AM +0000, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> > I'm looking to find out some information and specifics about the
> > context stack work that happened during the 5.23.x development
> > round, which ended up in 5.24.
>
> Note that your module is making heavy use of the unpublished internal
> details of the perl runtime engine. You might want to add a caveat to
> the pod that this this module might irretrievably break in some
> future release of perl.

Oh I'm aware of that. Right now my code is purely 5.24 because that's
what was on my laptop at the time, and I note that it happens also to
work for 5.26.

I'm hoping though that any new perl releases will have corresponding
version-guarded support in my module, so things ought to work smoothly.
Perhaps one day I'll even come up with a set of APIs/suggestions that
perl core could do to make this sort of thing nicer ;)

> The merge commit which made all the changes is
>
>     9d876b687d12d77fcb1012f1b865783476f00c7a,
>
> with the 204 commits from d4ce758 onwards being the actual changes.
>
> The email thread starting at
>
>     http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/233631
>
> contains the announcement, with a long description of what changed.
>
> It also added a section to perlguts,
>
>     head1 Dynamic Scope and the Context Stack
>
> which describes how the new (but not the old) system works.
>
> That merge made so many changes to the detail of scope entry/exit
> that I'm don't feel comfortable advising on how to make code work
> with the older buggy system.

That's fine - your references above should give me some starting points
to do some research myself.

Thanks,

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans