Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
December 12, 2017 15:34
Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework
Message ID:
20171212153414.GM3070@iabyn.com
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:48:03AM +0000, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> I'm looking to find out some information and specifics about the
> context stack work that happened during the 5.23.x development round,
> which ended up in 5.24.

Note that your module is making heavy use of the unpublished internal
details of the perl runtime engine. You might want to add a caveat to the
pod that this this module might irretrievably break in some future release
of perl.

The merge commit which made all the changes is

    9d876b687d12d77fcb1012f1b865783476f00c7a,

with the 204 commits from d4ce758 onwards being the actual changes.

The email thread starting at

    http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/233631

contains the announcement, with a long description of what changed.

It also added a section to perlguts,

    head1 Dynamic Scope and the Context Stack

which describes how the new (but not the old) system works.

That merge made so many changes to the detail of scope entry/exit that I'm
don't feel comfortable advising on how to make code work with the older
buggy system.

--
Music lesson: a symbiotic relationship whereby a pupil's embellishments
concerning the amount of practice performed since the last lesson are