develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2017

Re: Revisiting smart match

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
November 27, 2017 21:10
Re: Revisiting smart match
Message ID:
20171127211020.7526.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
> Father Chrysostomos wrote:
> >    foo when ?bar;
>
> That encroaches on the territory of expression syntax.  We don't currently
> have any expression syntax that begins with a question mark, but we
> used to.  It's not appealing to rule out inventing some in the future,
> just for this.

This specifically does not actually rule it out; it is already
ruled out by expressions like 'function ? "bar" : "baz"'.  In fact,
that syntax was part of the motive for removing the deprecated
?pat? syntax.

I am still not suggesting that when ?bar is a good idea, though.