develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2017

Re: [perl #115812] no implicit $; for slices

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
November 20, 2017 07:44
Re: [perl #115812] no implicit $; for slices
Message ID:
aa77c5d8-950a-5347-3d35-3f923da4936d@gmail.com

On 11/19/2017 09:33 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 06:45:28 -0800, xsawyerx@cpan.org wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 01:49:50 -0800, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
>>> We shouldn't change the rules for implicit $; usage.  The current
>>> behaviour is not a bug, and any tweak to the rules (short of
>>> eliminating
>>> implicit $; entirely) would be just another set of rules to learn
>>> with
>>> more Perl version portability problems.  This ticket should be
>>> closed.
>> To be honest, I would already be weary
> If you don’t mind: s/wea/lee/

Meant "wary," but "leery" will do as well. Sorry.
(I'm still learning this language, mind you. :)

>> of seeing implicit $; used.
>> While we try to contract code as much as possible, this can be
>> achieved in the current fashion is a short and readable way, as Mauke
>> expressed, without using $; implicitly.
> I hope you are not proposing that this feature be removed.

Not at all, but this ticket suggested also extending $; for slices to be
able to avoid the "(), ..." pattern, right? That is what I was referring
to that I'm not overtly in favor of extending.