develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2017

[perl #115812] no implicit $; for slices

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
November 19, 2017 20:33
Subject:
[perl #115812] no implicit $; for slices
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-7239-1511123630-860.115812-14-0@perl.org
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 06:45:28 -0800, xsawyerx@cpan.org wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 01:49:50 -0800, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
> > We shouldn't change the rules for implicit $; usage.  The current
> > behaviour is not a bug, and any tweak to the rules (short of
> > eliminating
> > implicit $; entirely) would be just another set of rules to learn
> > with
> > more Perl version portability problems.  This ticket should be
> > closed.
>
> To be honest, I would already be weary

If you don’t mind: s/wea/lee/

> of seeing implicit $; used.
> While we try to contract code as much as possible, this can be
> achieved in the current fashion is a short and readable way, as Mauke
> expressed, without using $; implicitly.

I hope you are not proposing that this feature be removed.  I have since gotten into the habit of writing ‘(),’ to force a list, and removing the feature will break my code.

--

Father Chrysostomos