develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2017

[perl #115812] no implicit $; for slices

From:
Sawyer X via RT
Date:
November 19, 2017 14:45
Subject:
[perl #115812] no implicit $; for slices
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-15835-1511102728-392.115812-15-0@perl.org
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 01:49:50 -0800, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
> We shouldn't change the rules for implicit $; usage.  The current
> behaviour is not a bug, and any tweak to the rules (short of eliminating
> implicit $; entirely) would be just another set of rules to learn with
> more Perl version portability problems.  This ticket should be closed.

To be honest, I would already be weary of seeing implicit $; used. While we try to contract code as much as possible, this can be achieved in the current fashion is a short and readable way, as Mauke expressed, without using $; implicitly.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open