develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2017

Re: Implementing script runs

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
November 5, 2017 17:36
Re: Implementing script runs
Message ID:
5580627d-ed75-87f6-8993-fe4582c424b3@khwilliamson.com
On 10/18/2017 06:26 PM, Tony Cook wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:32:50AM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
>> Here is my updated proposal for this, fleshing out what was agreed to at the
>> core hackathon, with other things that have been discussed over the years.
>> Seehttp://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/220508  and its thread for
>> background.
>>
>> I propose to have
>>
>> (?{script_run}:...)
>>
>> mean to match the subpattern indicated by "...", but impose the additional
>> constraint that all characters matched must be in the same Unicode script as
>> the first character in the matched sequence is. Certain characters like ':"
>> and "." and combining accents would be considered to be in every script.
>>
>> This prevents mixed-script attacks like the famous one of a link containing
>>
>> paypal.com
>>
>> where the characters before the 'l' aren't Latin, but Cyrillic, and clicking
>> on that link would lead to a malicious page.
>>
>> (?{script_run}:\d)+
>>
>> would match any sequence of decimal digits, but all would have to come from
>> the same script.
> This looks interesting and useful.

I have been looking into this further.  The syntax

(?{script_run}: ...)

makes {script_run} effectively an extended regex modifier.  There have
been various proposals for extended modifiers.  This matches one of
them.  It would be best if the syntax we come up with for this feature
could be used in the future for extended modifiers in general.

In looking at this with the intent to implement it, I realized that
there is somewhat of a conflict.  The problem is that

(?{...})

is already used to signify "..." is code to execute.  In this case, the
colon could be used to disambiguate.  But modifiers can also be used thusly:

(?i)...

as a way of turning on a modifier.  The script_run modifier cannot be
used this way because of its nature, but it would be best if the syntax
for specifying it would be the same as some potential future extended
modifier that could be used this wasy,  such as

  {simple_fold}

which would be like (?i) but would exclude multi-character folds.

But if we say

(?{simple_fold})

that's potentially confusable with the (?{...}) construct to run code.
Now the number of potential extended modifiers is quite finite, and we
could say that those aren't going to be code to run, but it would be
easier, and probably clearer to have something that means "we have
extended modifiers here"

In thinking about it, I came up with

(?+{extended_modifier_1}{extended_modifier_2}: ... )

with the plus intuitively meaning "more".