develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2017

BBC canary

Ryan Voots
October 21, 2017 16:13
BBC canary
Message ID:
After the recent hullabaloo with I've started looking at
making the blead build I run daily more accessible as a canary for these
kinds of issues.  After talking in #p5p briefly about this, it was
suggested I also bring it here.

This is mostly about "*ACTION ITEM:* Do we want an "offical" BBC testing
platform? All of CPAN? Prioritize top distros from CPAN River?" from

I don't think mine should quite be an official testing platform, but I'd
like to make it available as an early warning for changes that could cause
issues like the CV is stash changes before.  Right now it produces output
like this: which is huge and
annoying to consume.  I'm planning for my own sanity to make this easier to
monitor anyway and break it up into the different phases it goes through
(build blead, install cpan modules, and run 10% of the code run through
perlbot on irc).  I think doing this would make it more useful for anyone
to see if they've broken some important part of CPAN.

You can also see what modules it's trying to install at

My eventual goal that's not related to this is to actually put all this in
a jenkins setup instead of a cron job that i have to monitor through email
all the time, which should make it much easier to digest for everyone else
too if they want to monitor it.

You can see all the code setup to do this here,

Please let me know your thoughts on what would make this the most useful
for everyone.

Ryan Voots