develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2017

[perl #132106] incpth vs incpath documentation confusion

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 30, 2017 02:09
Subject:
[perl #132106] incpth vs incpath documentation confusion
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-14405-1506737366-1374.132106-15-0@perl.org
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:17:03 GMT, ntyni@debian.org wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.27.4.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> Quoting Porting/Glossary:
>
> > incpath (usrinc.U):
> >         This variable must precede the normal include path to get the
> >         right one, as in "$incpath/usr/include" or
> > "$incpath/usr/lib".
> >         Value can be "" or "/bsd43" on mips.
> >
> > incpth (libpth.U):
> >         This variable must precede the normal include path to get the
> >         right one, as in "$incpath/usr/include" or
> > "$incpath/usr/lib".
> >         Value can be "" or "/bsd43" on mips.
>
> However, reading Configure, these are quite different things. It looks
> like the description of incpth here is wrong and just accidentally
> duplicated from incpath.
>
> The incpth description was introduced in commit v5.19.8-19-
> g56b575b98e,
> but the Configure functionality had been there since 2001 (5440bc8ef38
> / 93bc48faf83afc24e), initially only for cross compilation but later
> (since v5.19.7-266-gbe3e7e29fa) also for native builds.
>
> Based on current Configure, I suggest this description for incpth:
>
> This variable contains a space separated list of the include
> directories
> searched by the preprocessor. If that cannot be determined, it
> defaults
> to the contents of 'usrinc'.

Contacting people familiar with Configure.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---