develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2017

Re: [perl #131685] Rename utf8::is_utf8() (and other functions)

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: [perl #131685] Rename utf8::is_utf8() (and other functions)
Message ID:
CAHhgV8j9O_UMT9Emkq0c9BXWLdbDQX=_0Ntxfy_h_w-9yAP_6w@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 7:45 PM, <pali@cpan.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 01 July 2017 19:13:30 you wrote:
> > to break a decade and a half of software.
>
> Hm? What you mean with to break? Existing functions would still work,
> just there are also new functions under new names. Usage of old
> functions is just removed from documentation.

Then I misunderstood your proposal, "rename" suggested to me that the old
ones disappear. In that case I'm not sure I see the benefit of your
proposal. Why would anyone want to use an interface that won't work on
perls older than 5.28, and could disappear in a future version of perl
(since that's the point of Internals::)? This isn't making sense to me.

Leon