develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2017

Re: Intermittent failure in bench.t

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
June 29, 2017 07:29
Re: Intermittent failure in bench.t
Message ID:
20170629072913.GW3074@iabyn.com
On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 01:52:19PM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
> # Failed test 29 - croak: cachegrind output format  at porting/bench.t line
> 349
> #      got 'Error: call::sub::empty/A empty/short loop gave return status
> 0x7f00\nwith the following output\n:valgrind: Boz: command not found\n\n'
> # expected /(?^:Error: while executing call::sub::empty/A empty/short
> loop:\nunexpected code or cachegrind output:\n)/

Hmm, strange. It's probably harmless, and I can easily fix it by expanding
what the test expects the failing output to match, but I don't quite
understand why it's happening, and would prefer to understand rather than
just brush it under the carpet.

I can't reproduce the failure at all. Perhaps it depends on the shell?
If you can reproduce it, can you give me the output of the following:

$ ./perl -Ilib Porting/bench.pl --grindargs=Boz --tests=call::sub::empty --debug ./perl=A ./perl=B

for a run where the output contains

    Error: call::sub::empty/A empty/short loop gave return status ....

rather than

    Error: while executing call::sub::empty/A empty/short loop: ...

--
You live and learn (although usually you just live).