develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2017

Change in branch management

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
April 28, 2017 14:31
Subject:
Change in branch management
Message ID:
0fdd6149-7285-c305-a564-864aef4c896f@gmail.com
We currently use blead for the development branch until we're near a
release, at which we slowly freeze this branch further and further,
allowing fewer changes to be introduced. As we freeze, more contentious
changes have to be put into branches, personally tracked, and eventually
merged back into blead post freeze. This has various downsides and we
would like to now try a different approach.

What we would like to do is experiment with creating a release candidate
branch which will be the "frozen" branch, and we will leave "blead"
unfrozen, allowing the continued development of the team.

As the designated release manager for the 5.26 release, I will work with
Yves (demerphq) to rework the release process, automate it to the extent
we can, and iron out any issues we encounter in the process and in the
release managers guide for other release managers.

We will announce when the new branches have been pushed and blead can be
considered unfrozen.

Sawyer.