develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2017

Re: [perl #130497] Revert "Unescaped left brace in regex" fatality

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
April 17, 2017 14:19
Re: [perl #130497] Revert "Unescaped left brace in regex" fatality
Message ID:
CAHhgV8gL=NiA5Ja+LZaGxM_ouycGFKJXnJ+1dV4AWhL-vpf9cQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:51 AM, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> I think people should be aware of the full consequences of this.
>
> It is not just a simple matter of reverting this patch.  Code has marched
> on.  In particular, you may recall that I missed some cases where the
> deprecation should have been output, and code to output these was added
> after this patch, and so presumes that these cases are fatal.
>
> If I change the patch to just silently continue, the other code fails to
> output a warning on some of the cases covered by this.  If I instead change
> it to output a warning, some cases will have 2 warnings output. And
> cleverness is required to fix that.  We could say that at this stage in
> development, that we can live with 2 warnings. But the other warning
> explicitly says it will be made fatal in 5.30.  Part of the reason to make
> these cases fatal now, was so that in 5.28, we could implement some of the
> extensions made feasible by this.  Having 2 warnings closes the door on that
> possibility.
>
> The solution that requires the least cleverness is my original kludge, to
> simply make

> non-fatal.  It's trivial to do this, and keep it to a single warning

I do think this provides a lesson for the future. It's generally a
better idea to leave breaking changes like this in a revertible state
until the dust has settled down.

Quite frankly, if we can miss a target the size of autoconf, one
starts to wonder what else did we miss. Not knowing that answer makes
a workaround that only solves autoconf a rather uncertain solution.

Leon