develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2017

Re: [perl #128420] Changes in regex recursion in 5.24

From:
demerphq
Date:
April 11, 2017 11:06
Re: [perl #128420] Changes in regex recursion in 5.24
Message ID:
CANgJU+WTGuSm2zdzmTPGmhBd4FZLvUgLBvSmUzNc5_uThfuoqQ@mail.gmail.com
On 11 April 2017 at 12:36, Jan Goyvaerts <jg@jgsoft.com> wrote:
> demerphq wrote:

>> You want me to backport the patch?
>

> You can do whatever you think is best for the Perl community.  I just want
> to know what the plan is.

That was aimed at Sawyer X. :-)

I will put together a patch for this.

> I'm the developer of RegexBuddy which emulates the regex features in many
> applications and programming languages, including Perl 5.8 through 5.22.
> Basically, I need to decide whether to spend the time to make RegexBuddy
> emulate the buggy behavior in Perl 5.24 (or determine the situations in
> which the bug occurs and flag those as errors).   I've delayed supporting
> Perl 5.24 because I was under the impression that it was going to be fixed
> in Perl 5.24.1 which would render the effort of emulating it unnecessary.

I was under the impression that the patch was already applied to the
Perl 5.24 branch. This thread bobbing up again is the first I've
thought about this for ages. Very for sorry for any trouble this has
caused you.

> Another change I've noticed in Perl 5.24.0 and 5.24.1 compared with previous
> versions is that [[:AlPhA:]] and [[:w:]] (and seemingly every other single
> letter class) are no longer errors, but also doesn't seem to match anything
> (or at least nothing obvious that I could figure out).

If you notice things like that could file a new ticket please? I am
sure Karl will want to know.

cheers,
Yves