develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2017

Re: [perl #128420] Changes in regex recursion in 5.24

From:
Jan Goyvaerts
Date:
April 11, 2017 10:37
Re: [perl #128420] Changes in regex recursion in 5.24
Message ID:
58ECB1C6.7040809@jgsoft.com
demerphq wrote:

>>> I get the exact same behavior in 5.24.1 as in 5.24.0.  Is this still
>>> scheduled to be fixed in 5.24 or will the fix have to wait for 5.26?
>
> You want me to backport the patch?

You can do whatever you think is best for the Perl community.  I just
want to know what the plan is.

I'm the developer of RegexBuddy which emulates the regex features in
many applications and programming languages, including Perl 5.8 through
5.22.  Basically, I need to decide whether to spend the time to make
RegexBuddy emulate the buggy behavior in Perl 5.24 (or determine the
situations in which the bug occurs and flag those as errors).   I've
delayed supporting Perl 5.24 because I was under the impression that it
was going to be fixed in Perl 5.24.1 which would render the effort of
emulating it unnecessary.

Another change I've noticed in Perl 5.24.0 and 5.24.1 compared with
previous versions is that [[:AlPhA:]] and [[:w:]] (and seemingly every
other single letter class) are no longer errors, but also doesn't seem
to match anything (or at least nothing obvious that I could figure out).

Kind regards,
Jan Goyvaerts

--
http://www.just-great-software.com