develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2017

Re: [perl #107874] installhtml likely isn't Unicode sane

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 28, 2017 08:37
Re: [perl #107874] installhtml likely isn't Unicode sane
Message ID:
20170328083735.GW3342@iabyn.com
On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 02:05:12PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 04:15:17PM -0800, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:07:56 GMT, nicholas wrote:
> > > When running ./installhtml I spotted this error:
> > >
> > > Wide character in print at lib/Pod/Html.pm line 380.
> > >
> > > I'd infer that (at least one of) installhtml or Pod::Html is not Unicode
> > > sane. This is unfortunate. I would have hoped that it would be relatively
> > > easy to ensure that all the input is properly processed, and all the
> > > output is well behaved, optionally either as ASCII with entities, or
> > > as UTF-8.
> > >
> > > (There is a need for the former. The stupids, they burn. I have seen them.
> > > Multiple conflicting actual content-type headers along with HTML META tags
> > > in the file body. Who you gonna trust?)
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is a regression from perl 5.14.0
> > >
> > > Nicholas Clark
> >
> > What would constitute "Unicode-sanity"?  Merely, the elimination of all "Wide character in print" warnings?  Or something more?
>
> In blead, 'make install.html' doesn't emit any 'Wide character' warnings.
> I don't know whether this means that installhtml and/or Pod::Html is now
> utf8-sane.

Now closing for lack of any better suggestions :-)

--
The Enterprise successfully ferries an alien VIP from one place to another
without serious incident.