develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2017

[perl #130561] Coredump in Perl_re_op_compile

From:
Hugo van der Sanden via RT
Date:
January 29, 2017 14:57
Subject:
[perl #130561] Coredump in Perl_re_op_compile
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-22355-1485701827-1154.130561-15-0@perl.org
What I'd really like to do is reduce the amount of spooky action at a distance. Any time we find something that breaks unexpectedly, I'd rather think about how we can make things behave in a less unexpected manner than just put comments in - it's real hard to find a sane place to put such information that actually guarantees it'll be seen by someone trying to change the code in ways they might otherwise reasonably expect to be safe.

I was hoping we'd have made more progress towards compiling to an AST by now, which was what prompted my initial work on the study_chunk branch, but I guess you haven't had time to progress on that.

Whether a runtime check is suitable in this case or not, as a general principle I expect that the process of untangling the mess we have right now might incur small short-term performance costs; but that that's worth it in the expectation that once we have a clue what's going on we'll be able to implement better optimizations more easily.

Hugo

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open