develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2017

[perl #130561] Coredump in Perl_re_op_compile

From:
Hugo van der Sanden via RT
Date:
January 27, 2017 18:05
Subject:
[perl #130561] Coredump in Perl_re_op_compile
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-27964-1485540298-830.130561-15-0@perl.org
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 08:02:14 -0800, demerphq wrote:
> On 27 January 2017 at 16:15, Hugo van der Sanden wrote:
> > I'm not entirely sure that I have a use case, but what I had in mind
> > was to modify the fixup loop as in your "this GOSUB may have been
> > optimized away" change, but combine it with a regexec-time check &
> > panic should we see a GOSUB that hasn't had its target set (which
> > requires inventing a way to flag that). Failing that, we should at
> > least have an assert at the point of fixup, for a clea[nr]er failure
> > mode.
>
> If we do this in debug mode only then I see no harm.

I had planned to make it a mandatory panic (not only under DEBUGGING), instead of the SEGV or worse you would otherwise get.

> Can I leave that part to you?

For now yes - I had already had a go at it (assuming I could set arg2=0 and test that for "not set") but got a bunch of test failures, which I haven't tried to dig into yet. If I can't use arg2, I might want to use flags - but as far as I can see we don't ever actually use those as flags, so some caution will be needed.

Hugo

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open