develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2017

[perl #130561] Coredump in Perl_re_op_compile

From:
Hugo van der Sanden via RT
Date:
January 26, 2017 10:21
Subject:
[perl #130561] Coredump in Perl_re_op_compile
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-11114-1485426051-776.130561-15-0@perl.org
Ugh, I experimented with this some more, and found that after my patch to deoptimize this loops until stack exhaustion:

./miniperl -wle '"abaad" =~ m{(a) b ( ((?1)){2,1} | aa )d}x'

I think it'd be worth trying to chase down the bugs here, but I suspect the fuzzers will find more, and we're quite late in the release cycle to be hoping for confidence in this before 5.26 freeze.

So for now I'm going to look instead whether I can make it less dangerous to miss RExC_recurse entries, that feels like the surer (and more useful) target.

Hugo

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open