develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2017

Perl still tries to compile regexes even if there are parse errors

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
January 22, 2017 06:03
Subject:
Perl still tries to compile regexes even if there are parse errors
Message ID:
1cb2dcbc-56fa-d572-4919-5aa9698ce6b1@khwilliamson.com
I was astonished to find that we try to compile patterns even if parse
errors have been found.  This can lead to misleading error messages, and
apparently judging from the test suite, segfaults in the past (and maybe
currently.

It seems prudent to me to skip compiling patterns when parse errors have
already been found.  Am I missing something?