develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2016

[perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
December 27, 2016 22:45
Subject:
[perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-12976-1482878699-386.5844-15-0@perl.org
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 23:50:23 GMT, jkeenan wrote:
> On Tue May 08 12:02:40 2012, hv wrote:
> > Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > :> Perhaps there's a less ridiculous option that causes a build
> > failure.
> > :
> > :Likely. But your example suggests to me that *mini*perl should ignore
> > all of
> > :these, as they aren't* used by the build process, and that the
> > invocations for
> > :./perl should explicitly clear them all.
> > :
> > :(Which isn't too hard actually, as ./perl is, or should be, invoked
> > :consistently throughout the Makefile with a macro that sets up
> > :"LD_LIBRARY_PATH" etc)
> > :
> > :If this idea seems sane, an no-one else beats me to it, I'll try to
> > do it in
> > :the next couple of months.
> >
> > I think by "should ignore all of these" you're saying "ignore anything
> > in
> > PERL5OPT" (or possibly "PERL5OPT and friends").
> >
> > If so, please consider whether it is worth providing a mechanism to
> > specify
> > the value to use for PERL5OPT (resp. "... and friends") for the
> > miniperl
> > build as a get-out clause.
> >
> > I do not have a use for this myself, so I do not request it; but I
> > imagine,
> > should it be of use, it would be easier to make that change now than
> > to try
> > and restore the facility in a user-controllable form later.
> >
> > Hugo
> >

> Nicholas, do you think we should proceed with this?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

The discussion in this ticket petered out more than 3 years ago -- and we never had a clear statement of the problem to be solved in the first place.

So I recommend closing this ticket (and will do so within 7 days unless someone objects).

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---