develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2016

[perl #128250] perlref’s sections are a little muddled

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
December 27, 2016 02:06
Subject:
[perl #128250] perlref’s sections are a little muddled
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-29849-1482804413-670.128250-15-0@perl.org
On Fri, 27 May 2016 00:36:32 GMT, jkeenan wrote:
> On Thu May 26 13:45:51 2016, sprout wrote:
> > $ perl -ne 'print if s/^=head(.)/"  "x$1/e' pod/perlref.pod
> >  NAME
> >  NOTE
> >  DESCRIPTION
> >    Making References
> >    Using References
> >    Circular References
> >    Symbolic references
> >    Not-so-symbolic references
> >    Pseudo-hashes: Using an array as a hash
> >    Function Templates
> >  WARNING
> >  Postfix Dereference Syntax
> >    Postfix Reference Slicing
> >  Assigning to References
> >  SEE ALSO
> >
> > Most of the documentation is under the DESCRIPTION section, which
> > makes sense.  The postfix dereference syntax was added after the
> > warning, as a top-level section, and then I blithely added the
> > section
> > on assigning to references after it.
> >
> > The WARNING is about using references as hash keys, which may not do
> > what you want.
> >
> > Should that perhaps be made a subsection of DESCRIPTION, or should we
> > move it to the end of the documentation, where it used to be?
>
> I am attaching a patch which is a slightly more than bare-bones
> implementation of your suggestion.  Please review.
>
> Thank you very much.

I have rebased my patch on blead (see attachment).  Is it okay to apply?

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open