develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2016

Re: [perl #128559] Code and documentation is inconsistent aboutnaming UTF- 8

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
December 14, 2016 18:34
Re: [perl #128559] Code and documentation is inconsistent aboutnaming UTF- 8
Message ID:
52d273fb-a78d-36d0-14f5-8059edae2f15@khwilliamson.com
On 07/06/2016 08:05 AM, Rob Dixon (via RT) wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by  Rob Dixon
>

> This is a bug report for perl from the.rob.dixon@gmail.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.24.0.

So, we should search the pods, and replace all occurrences of 'utf8'
with UTF-8, at a minimum?

It's long been confusing as well that Perl has an extended form of
UTF-8, the most limited version of which allows one to encode just the
code points 0..0x10FFFF, excluding surrogates.

Some people use the term UTF-X for perl's, but that is confusing to me,
as there is UTF16 (of various endianness) and UTF32.  I've lately been
thinking we should standardize on "UTF-8X" when we mean perl's extension
to UTF-8.

There are places in the documentation where we could get away from
naming the internal format, but there are places where it is essential,
and places that are gray areas.  I'm too close to the implementation to
be a good judge.  I think if you want anything to actually get done
along these lines, that you'll have to submit a patch for discussion.