develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2016

Re: hv.h hek definition

From:
demerphq
Date:
November 3, 2016 08:53
Re: hv.h hek definition
Message ID:
CANgJU+VYjcvW49DrXjEgD0URkUO=-8+6N6gdbc0xdoDvPzPNrQ@mail.gmail.com
On 3 November 2016 at 09:34, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 08:52:54AM +0100, demerphq wrote:
>> So if you could help me to understand the exact requirements for your
>> platform I would be grateful.
>
> Many RISC processors have strict alignment requirements - at the very
> least, for a field of size 2^N to be aligned on a 2^N boundary - so
> hek_flags would have to be 8 bytes for an 8-byte pointer. This would apply
> to SPARC too.
>
> I guess it might be possible to keep the flags at 1 byte, but for for the
> "HEK key is an SV" case to use a different cast alignment to store the SV
> pointer.

HRM. I need to look at the code. The only reason I can think of
needing a flags field with an SV key is to deal with the WASUTF8 flag.
I need to check out the SV key code more closely.

Yves