develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2016

Re: [Encode] 2.87 released!

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
November 2, 2016 17:53
Re: [Encode] 2.87 released!
Message ID:
CA+vYcVws400=V5MSUkitqCQSi64zFWVY0bN8uJhg7dNkoooH7w@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 12:03 PM,  <pali@cpan.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 November 2016 09:32:56 demerphq wrote:

>> If you work on Perl c code then you have to deal with the fact that
>> many of our target platforms are c89 only.  There is nothing anyone
>> on this list can do about it so there is no point in complaining
>> about it either.
>
> Understood, reason why I asked question below ↓
>
>> > But, question is: how to prevent to happen this situation again?
>> > Compile errors are already handled by travis when making pull
>> > requests but looks like this is not enough...
>>
>> There are build options for gcc that will help you catch most of the
>> common patterns that break c89.
>
> It is possible to configure travis-ci for github encode repository to
> use it? Or do you have any other idea of automated tests (ideally for
> those platforms which are c89 only)?

As far as I know, Encode should use the compiler flags that were used
to build Perl itself.  The only way I can think of to make this work
with travis-ci/github would be to maintain your own mirror of Perl and
build it with -std=c89 added to the compiler flags and test by
integrating new versions of Encode into it.  Otherwise you're stuck
using one of the stock builds of Perl that they provide and have no
control over the compiler flags.

I was going to suggest building Encode with:

$ perl Makefile.PL CCFLAGS=-std=c89

but according to:

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/perl/

you don't get the ability to add arguments to the Makefile.PL line.