develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2016

Re: [Encode] 2.87 released!

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
November 2, 2016 17:21
Re: [Encode] 2.87 released!
Message ID:
20161102182041.008ba4bd@pc09.procura.nl
On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 18:03:52 +0100, pali@cpan.org wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 November 2016 09:32:56 demerphq wrote:
> > On 1 Nov 2016 7:37 p.m., <pali@cpan.org> wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 01 November 2016 18:59:15 Steve Hay wrote:
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
> > >
> > > Ok. If you find any problem let me know.
> > >
>  [...]
>  [...]
> > >
> > > Current version of gcc which is used on linux supports C11 with GNU
> > > extensions which is 20 years newly as C89. And probably gcc's C89
> > > mode is with GNU extensions too which supports code before
> > > variable declarations. For me it looks like that C89 is really
> > > pre-historic...
> >
> > If you work on Perl c code then you have to deal with the fact that
> > many of our target platforms are c89 only.  There is nothing anyone
> > on this list can do about it so there is no point in complaining
> > about it either.
>
> Understood, reason why I asked question below ↓
>
> > > But, question is: how to prevent to happen this situation again?
> > > Compile errors are already handled by travis when making pull
> > > requests but looks like this is not enough...
> >
> > There are build options for gcc that will help you catch most of the
> > common patterns that break c89.
>
> It is possible to configure travis-ci for github encode repository to
> use it? Or do you have any other idea of automated tests (ideally for
> those platforms which are c89 only)?

I can give you access to HP-UX 11.23/PA2 which has a C89 compiler (with
optional C99 modus) and GNU gcc.

That is a slow box however and not suitable for automatic testing.

using perl5.00307 .. 5.25   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE