develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2016

Re: [Encode] 2.87 released!

From:
demerphq
Date:
November 2, 2016 08:33
Re: [Encode] 2.87 released!
Message ID:
CANgJU+Va=c_q+xaZZw-WoZsk0NQAYDpnU9Zno8umcDQj3v3-yA@mail.gmail.com
On 1 Nov 2016 7:37 p.m., <pali@cpan.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 November 2016 18:59:15 Steve Hay wrote:
> > On 1 November 2016 at 17:42,  <pali@cpan.org> wrote:
> > > Hi Steve!
> > >
> > > Sorry, but I cannot reproduce 3. That test ext/XS-APItest/t/utf8.t
> > > passes and even it does not use Encode...
> > >
> > > Can you provide steps to reproduce problem 3?
> >
> > Sorry, I hadn't realized, but this test is failing for me even
> > without the Encode upgrade.
> >
> > So as far as Encode goes we should be good to go with a 2.08 release
> > including the fixes for 1 and 2 that Dan already committed.
>
> Ok. If you find any problem let me know.
>
> > > Btw, how it is possible that you got compile failures? Encode 2.87
> > > passed all compile & unit tests on all perl versions 5.8 -- 5.24,
> > > see: https://travis-ci.org/dankogai/p5-encode/builds/171292122
> >
> > Presumably the compiler used by Travis isn't a picky one like MS
> > Visual C++ (which I use), which doesn't allow code before
> > declarations (C89-style).
>
> Current version of gcc which is used on linux supports C11 with GNU
> extensions which is 20 years newly as C89. And probably gcc's C89 mode
> is with GNU extensions too which supports code before variable
> declarations. For me it looks like that C89 is really pre-historic...

If you work on Perl c code then you have to deal with the fact that many of
our target platforms are c89 only.  There is nothing anyone on this list
can do about it so there is no point in complaining about it either.

> But, question is: how to prevent to happen this situation again? Compile
> errors are already handled by travis when making pull requests but looks
> like this is not enough...

There are build options for gcc that will help you catch most of the common
patterns that break c89.

I am on my phone so I can't give any examples just now.

Yves