develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2016

Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
November 1, 2016 19:46
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.10.1611011443220.15849@urth.org
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016, Sawyer X wrote:

> Given all of these issues, Andy Lester's response captures the current
> situation in my opinion: While EU::MM is probably the safest thing to
> include in perlnewmod, we can still include a discussion of the
> available builders, the different layers, and encourage users to
> research if they would like to.

I'd like to suggest that perlootut and perlobj provide a good model for
this.

The perlootut docs basically skip all of the "how OO works in Perl" in
favor of describing a few popular and useful CPAN modules. Then perlobj
provides comprehensive reference docs for how OO works in Perl.

Similarly, I think perlnewmod should describe the _easiest_ solutions for
new authors (module-start and minilla?), with as little documentation of
EUMM, Makefile.PL, and other things as is feasiable. A separate document
describing more of the guts of the toolchain and CPAN would be a great
companion piece.

Obviously, this is a lot of work to do, and based on my experience with
the OO docs it'll take a few rounds of review to make everyone happy. That
said, I think it was worth it and I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Cheers,

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)