[perl #129953] lib/locale.t: Test failures and segfaulting onFreeBSD-11 and -12

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi via RT
Date:
October 29, 2016 17:39
Subject:
[perl #129953] lib/locale.t: Test failures and segfaulting onFreeBSD-11 and -12
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-4174-1477762781-909.129953-15-0@perl.org
I am also getting a failure from locale.t in my private OpenBSD build.  My NetBSD is a bit hosed at the moment, but I am guessing if I could get a build going, it would fail similarly.

Furthermore, also both my Solaris builds (sparc and x86)  fail on that test.

Here's an idea: given that the locale.t does a task that is somewhat different than any other test in our test suite, that is, extensively test a system-provided database for validity -- should Perl really be doing that?  Is it our job?  Perl's responsibility?

I do understand the original intent (I was the one who started cross-testing whether the system locales work with Perl, especially when we started doing UTF-8), but I am starting to think that this is not our problem.  Yes, Perl may work wrong, or even crash, sometimes not even in Perl.  But again, is this our problem?  It is nice to be able to find these problems, and possibly report that upstream, but...  as Karl points out, especially problematic are non-UTF8-locales, since they may require using system interfaces Perl doesn't know about and never will want to.

Maybe the locale.t should be converted into a stand-alone utility that people may run to test their locales, after the fact.  This would make more sense also because people may install (or upgrade, or uninstall) locales outside of their Perl build.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open