[perl #129953] lib/locale.t: Test failures and segfaulting onFreeBSD-11 and -12

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
October 26, 2016 11:27
Subject:
[perl #129953] lib/locale.t: Test failures and segfaulting onFreeBSD-11 and -12
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-14771-1477481247-661.129953-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Oct 24 05:16:14 2016, jkeen@verizon.net wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from jkeenan@cpan.org,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.24.0.
>
> lib/locale.t: Test failures and segfaulting on FreeBSD-11 and -12

Status of lib/locale.t on FreeBSD-11 Oct 26 2016

Branch: smoke-me/khw-locale

Commit: 79dfed8

lib/locale.t no longer crashes.  When run individually via:

    cd t; ./perl harness -v ../lib/locale.t; cd -

... the first time there was a visible pause of multiple seconds after test 380.  There was another, shorter, visible pause after test 389.  But the test resumes and completes with 4 failures in tests 426 through 429.

In a 'script' session, I then reconfigured and rebuilt for debugging:

    sh ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Duseithreads -DDEBUGGING

I re-ran the test:

    PERL_DEBUG_FULL_TEST=2 ./perl -Ilib -DLv -T lib/locale.t 2>&1

This time I did not see visible pauses.  As before, the test completed without crashing.  Typescript is large; available on request; will be sent to Karl and Dan directly.

I then manually ran the file from the command-line with both:

    cd t; ./perl harness -v ../lib/locale.t; cd -  # 4.88 real   4.76 user   0.11 sys

    ./perl -Ilib -T lib/locale.t                   # 4.82 real   4.74 user   0.07 sys

Running with 'harness', I observed a visible pause at test 389, though shorter than previously.  I did not observe a pause at test 389.

I then got curious and grepped the typescript for locale.c.  On the basis of the debugging output I saw there, I went into hints/freebsd.sh and added:

    d_strlcpy='undef'

I reconfigured and rebuilt and reran the test.  However, I got all the same debugging warnings.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---