Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
Andy Lester
Date:
October 23, 2016 17:47
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
CBDF6581-7C1F-4B20-B88B-476E152BFBF8@petdance.com
>>> If you look at perlnewmod (and perlmodstyle) you get pointed to
>>> module-starter, with an example run line that doesn't use the
>>> "--builder" option.  If you follow that example, it generates a
>>> build tree based on ExtUtils::MakeMaker.  So that must be the
>>> current Best Practices, right?

I don't think perlnewmod's job is tell what "current Best Practices" is, despite a mention of those very words in the text.  I think it's to present a reasonably stable answer that points rookies in the right direction to get their feet wet.

If anything's missing in perlnewmod, it's discussion of of EU::MM and why it exists and how module-starter and h2xs just create the basic EU::MM Makefile.PL for you.  There's no mention of EU::MM anywhere except in the SEE ALSO section.

There's nothing saying that "EU::MM is the standard, basic way of creating module distributions", and explaining what Makefile.PL is and how it's used for.  It doesn't say "Makefile.PL uses EU::MM to create a Makefile, etc etc etc".

--
Andy Lester => www.petdance.com