[perl #129896] the maintainership/upstream situation of theCwd/File::Spec dist is very unclear

From:
Christian Walde via RT
Date:
October 23, 2016 14:20
Subject:
[perl #129896] the maintainership/upstream situation of theCwd/File::Spec dist is very unclear
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-578-1477232432-1139.129896-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Oct 19 03:37:58 2016, xsawyerx@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't think you're wrong on this and I agree this is undesirable, to
> say the least.
>
> I think Jim raised a few possible solutions to this. Let's continue on
> that front?

As already mentioned on IRC, but said here also for the record: Excellent. Thank you. :)

I agree with Jim's battle plan, and have the following thoughts on it:

> * I think prior to an action such as setting up a special task-force for
> this module to plow through issues and clearing them, we should have
> those reviewed

I think that would end up being the same thing, since any such moving would require review of each ticket. Otoh i also agree since "review first, then move" splits the work up into smaller parts.

Review could be done by anyone by way of leaving a comment in the rt.cpan ticket, or, to avoid unnecessary notifications being sent to people, it could be done via a side channel like Trello. Only the closing of tickets requires action by someone with the right perms.

This combines with your question of figuring out the stated maintainers involvements, and i found there is a way to answer this conclusively: Look at CPAN perms. For the involved modules they look as follows:

Cwd

userid    type       owner
FLORA     co-maint   P5P
KWILLIAMS co-maint   P5P
P5P       modulelist P5P
RJBS      co-maint   P5P
SMUELLER  co-maint   P5P

File::Spec

userid    type       owner
KJALB     co-maint   P5P
KWILLIAMS modulelist KWILLIAMS
P5P       first-come P5P
RJBS      co-maint   P5P
SMUELLER  co-maint   P5P

File::Spec::AmigaOS

userid type       owner
RJBS   first-come RJBS

File::Spec::<Cygwin|Epoc|Functions|Mac|OS2|Unix|VMS|Win32>

userid    type       owner
KWILLIAMS co-maint   P5P
P5P       first-come P5P
RJBS      co-maint   P5P
SMUELLER  co-maint   P5P

AmigaOS looks like an accident of some kind due to the way RJBS put out the fix for that, so i think we can leave that one out of consideration.

FLORA and KJALB seem to only be in there for historical reasons or maybe to manage the ticket queue.

KWILLIAMS is the original author, and has clearly passed his mantle of authority on since 2008.

P5P is the current authority and clear owner of the namespace (bar some fixing needed for Amiga).

RJBS is only involved in there since he did some emergency releases.

SMUELLER seems to have been the de-factor maintainer from 2008 to 2014, but seems to have lost his supply of tuits.

So after this mail i'll cc FLORA, KJALB, KWILLIAMS and SMUELLER in individual replies to try and get their input.

Lastly there is the wider question of:

What's this module's life cycle supposed to be?

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsource.html#Core-modules states things clearly for cpan/, but for dist/ it only says the repo is canonical, nothing about the life cycle.

How are releases of File::Spec/Cwd supposed to be handled?

- Primarily with Perl and to CPAN only security/critical fixes?
- Perl and CPAN in tandem?
- Primarily CPAN as soon as a release is viable, and in Perl only to keep new installs up-to-date?

I think once we have those answered, and AmigaOS perms fixed, we should move ahead with Jim's step #1 as soon as possible.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open