Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
demerphq
Date:
October 23, 2016 08:40
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
CANgJU+XaRm1AOO5X7eDvjTty+TeqFc9sjyKDJdU1+kizNrofyA@mail.gmail.com
On 22 October 2016 at 23:32, Joseph Brenner <doomvox@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I don't think there is a single clear story, and that's OK.  TMTOWTDI. We can present alternatives and let users decide.
>
> I'm afraid I disagree there-- the current situation is mildly
> confusing to me, and I already know my way around.   I think it's one
> more thing that's at least potentially discouraging to beginners.
>
> If we're going to say "TMTOWTDI", then at a minimum, perlnewmod should
> explain the major ways of doing it along with their pluses and minuses
> for various circumstances.
>
> Currently perlnewmod endorses ExtUtils::MakeMaker for new module
> authors.  Everyone okay with that?  See no problems?

EU::MM is the only one shipped with Perl, and which does not require a
zillion dependencies to be installed.

IMO for most simple modules EU::MM is to be preferred, and even as an
experienced CPAN author and perl developer I much prefer dists built
on it than on anything else.

I think it is fine to point people to more advanced solutions than
EU::MM, but our main focus in perlnewmod should be EUMM.

Yves