Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
Dan Book
Date:
October 23, 2016 04:52
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
CABMkAVX8ZAwoy+jJBPJC-qeYZvEerqRWMm8feze91CdkAGvo4A@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 12:36 AM, Andy Lester <andy@petdance.com> wrote:

> > Thanks, that more-or-less agrees with my impression.  I'm gravitating
> > toward Dist::Milla + MBT myself, but I remain mildly, let's say
> > annoyed, that the situation is still a bit up-in-the-air.
>
> I think we need to consider that the FAQ is for rookies, not seasoned CPAN
> authors.
>
> For example, if we told the rookies who read the FAQ to use Dist::Milla,
> they'd head to https://metacpan.org/pod/Dist::Milla and be confronted
> with this:
>
> --- cut ---
>
> Milla is a Dist::Zilla profile. It is a collection of Dist::Zilla plugin
> bundle, minting profile and a command line wrapper. It is designed around
> the "Convention over Configuration" philosophy (Opinionated), and by
> default doesn't rewrite module files nor requires you to change your
> workflow at all (Unobtrusive).
>
> Experienced CPAN authors who know how to write CPAN distributions can keep
> writing the code like before, but can remove lots of cruft, then replace
> Module::Install and ShipIt with Dist::Zilla and Milla profile for
> authoring, while you don't need to add anything other than a shiny new
> cpanfile (optional), and a simple dist.ini saying:
>
>     [@Milla]
>
> --- end ---
>
> I suggest that no newcomer to creating modules is going to understand
> anything that that says: "Dist::Zilla plugin bundle", "minting profile",
> "Module::Install", "ShipIt", etc etc.
>
> This is not a knock on any distro over another.  I just looked up
> Dist::Milla because it was mentioned here.  The key is that we have to
> remember our audience.
>
> --
> Andy Lester => www.petdance.com

That second paragraph is really only designed for experienced CPAN authors
wondering why they should use Dist::Milla or whether they can keep their
workflow, but sure it isn't as approachable as it could be. "GETTING
STARTED" shows most of what new authors would need to know to get started
(followed by reading Dist::Milla::Tutorial), no knowledge of other
authoring systems is needed. Minilla's documentation is similar but a bit
more straight to the point. There's definitely room for more introductory
material.