Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
Andy Lester
Date:
October 23, 2016 04:36
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
9DBDC6E5-1FDF-4D46-AA08-21251CC4588B@petdance.com
> Thanks, that more-or-less agrees with my impression.  I'm gravitating
> toward Dist::Milla + MBT myself, but I remain mildly, let's say
> annoyed, that the situation is still a bit up-in-the-air.

I think we need to consider that the FAQ is for rookies, not seasoned CPAN authors.

For example, if we told the rookies who read the FAQ to use Dist::Milla, they'd head to https://metacpan.org/pod/Dist::Milla and be confronted with this:

Milla is a Dist::Zilla profile. It is a collection of Dist::Zilla plugin bundle, minting profile and a command line wrapper. It is designed around the "Convention over Configuration" philosophy (Opinionated), and by default doesn't rewrite module files nor requires you to change your workflow at all (Unobtrusive).

Experienced CPAN authors who know how to write CPAN distributions can keep writing the code like before, but can remove lots of cruft, then replace Module::Install and ShipIt with Dist::Zilla and Milla profile for authoring, while you don't need to add anything other than a shiny new cpanfile (optional), and a simple dist.ini saying:

    [@Milla]

I suggest that no newcomer to creating modules is going to understand anything that that says: "Dist::Zilla plugin bundle", "minting profile", "Module::Install", "ShipIt", etc etc.

This is not a knock on any distro over another.  I just looked up Dist::Milla because it was mentioned here.  The key is that we have to remember our audience.

--
Andy Lester => www.petdance.com