Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
Andy Lester
Date:
October 22, 2016 17:06
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
3F2F7D5E-82CE-4990-868E-2A9D0474585E@petdance.com

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 10:39 PM, Joseph Brenner <doomvox@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just to be clear, I understand that lots of things would work,
> including h2xs and ExtUtils::MakeMaker, I just think there
> should be a single, clear story you can tell to new CPAN
> authors.

I don't think there is a single clear story, and that's OK.  TMTOWTDI. We can present alternatives and let users decide.

module-starter (which I created long ago but no longer maintain) is a fine choice to create a distribution from scratch.  It includes no maintenance features, but it gets the job done simply and with relatively little knowledge necessary.

Dist::Zilla is extremely powerful with plugins, and I think that's worth presenting as an option as well.

The only thing I think we should steer folks away from is h2xs, unless they're actually converting .h files to .xs files.

--
Andy Lester => www.petdance.com