Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
October 22, 2016 11:26
Re: perlnewmod: module-starter and ExtUtils::MakeMaker?
Message ID:
fe8a7399-d6eb-8ac8-7128-ed0c3cdd4bc0@gmail.com
On 10/21/2016 05:39 AM, Joseph Brenner wrote:
> If you look at perlnewmod (and perlmodstyle) you get pointed to
> module-starter, with an example run line that doesn't use the
> "--builder" option.  If you follow that example, it generates a
> build tree based on ExtUtils::MakeMaker.  So that must be the
> current Best Practices, right?
>
> Alternately, I could assume that Miyagawa knows what he's doing,
> and use Dist::Milla, and I see that defaults to
> Module::Build::Tiny.  If that's the actual Best Practices, then
> perhaps perlnewmod needs revision?
>
> Just to be clear, I understand that lots of things would work,
> including h2xs and ExtUtils::MakeMaker, I just think there
> should be a single, clear story you can tell to new CPAN
> authors.

Hi Joseph.

Module::Build::Tiny is meant[1] to provide a light-weight replacement
for Module::Build, not to replace ExtUtils::MakeMaker. Module::Build has
a set of unsupported options[2] and is not part of the perl 5 core. It
might be considered the best thing for some authors, but it does not
make it the "actual Best Practice". It doesn't make it a bad practice
either.

[1] Correct me if I'm wrong here, Leon.
[2] https://metacpan.org/pod/Module::Build::Tiny#Not-Supported