Re: perl5.git.perl.org gitweb shortlog problem

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 21, 2016 20:16
Re: perl5.git.perl.org gitweb shortlog problem
Message ID:
CA+vYcVyTcqFgUXz5rfRmx9Qre9rZt5YwEDnafm9auqgsmDUzDg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 2:48 PM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2016 9:36 p.m., "Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Dennis Kaarsemaker
>> <dennis@kaarsemaker.net> wrote:

>> > Yves was convinced it wasn't needed anymore, "as there are now better
>> > ways to do blame" (paraphrased. Forgot the exact wording).
>> >
>> > If you or someone else actually uses it, I'll bring it back after
>> > implementing throttling.
>>
>> I do use it, and I'm not aware of any way to do archive diving that is
>> more convenient and that  I can get to from anywhere without needing a
>> local repository.  I might just be ill-informed, though.  So no big
>> rush, but I find it a very nice feature to have.
>
> The github mirror has blame.  Is there a reason you don't like it?

It's a lot slower than gitweb and spends a lot of screen real estate
on things other than code (all the cute avatars and so forth).  IIRC
it also truncates long lines of code with no way to see more.

If the cost of providing blame via perl5.git.perl.org is high or
brings a lot of headaches with it, then maybe it's time to reconsider
offering it.  But I'm not sure what's different now compared to all
the years we've been running it.

> Is the mirror not up to date enough?

That I don't know as I've never used it.  Today it's inaccessible due
to the severe DNS problems in the eastern US :-(. [1]

[1] <http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/dos-attack-on-major-dns-provider-brings-internet-to-morning-crawl/>