Re: perl5.git.perl.org gitweb shortlog problem

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 21, 2016 19:35
Re: perl5.git.perl.org gitweb shortlog problem
Message ID:
CA+vYcVxCZKahbAZ=V6xAJJT4jbdadEn36T1fqE9oSzYz77DyDw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Dennis Kaarsemaker
<dennis@kaarsemaker.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 08:41 -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Dennis Kaarsemaker
>> <dennis@kaarsemaker.net> wrote:

>> > This was caused by me trying to get to the bottom of this. In the
>> > process I managed to modify our customizations so gitweb can always be
>> > upgraded with git (yay!).
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. Turns out to be a bug in git, for
>> > which I have now sent a patch to the git mailinglist.
>> > http://public-inbox.org/git/1476908699.26043.9.camel@kaarsemaker.net/
>>

>> Yikes.  Sometimes it's a lot of work to send the blame upstream :-).
>> Thanks for taking care of this.
>>
>> > Should all be hunky dory again, and once this is fixed I will upgrade
>> > git and gitweb.
>>

>> Speaking of blame, will git blame return to gitweb when you upgrade,
>> or is that too prone to getting your server clobbered?
>>

> Yves was convinced it wasn't needed anymore, "as there are now better
> ways to do blame" (paraphrased. Forgot the exact wording).
>
> If you or someone else actually uses it, I'll bring it back after
> implementing throttling.

I do use it, and I'm not aware of any way to do archive diving that is
more convenient and that  I can get to from anywhere without needing a
local repository.  I might just be ill-informed, though.  So no big
rush, but I find it a very nice feature to have.